- News by Topic
- News by Month
- Press Releases
- MSM Calendar
- MSM Videos
- Health Currents
- MSM Media Contact
- MSM Media Image Gallery
- MSM Notables
- MSM Publications
- Coronavirus Advisory
- Tribute to Henry "Hank" Aaron
MSM faculty, staff, and student notable accomplishments.
Shaakira Ford, DSW, LCSW
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
On July 1, 2021, Dr. Ford became the first Black person to become Vice President of the Georgia Society of Clinical Social Work. On July 1, 2022, and she will be the first Black person to be president of the same organization.
Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary to the Board
Michael Rambert, Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Morehouse School of Medicine, and Johanna Jumper, Partner at Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP, lead a lively discussion on the absolute can’t-miss issues that health care attorneys must be aware of when engaging in complicated real estate transactions. Learn more.
Office of Institutional Advancement
Stephanie Olver was selected for the 2021-2022 Leadership Clayton Cohort and will be recognized on October 13, 2022 for her appointment. Learn more.
Brian Rivers, MD
Cancer Health Equity Institute
Community Health and Preventive Medicine
Dr. Brian Rivers is a Professor and Director of the Cancer Health Equity Institute at Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM). He is nationally and internationally recognized as a leader in health disparities research and a retired member of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Advisory Council on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NACMHD).
Dr. Rivers is an active member in the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) community and serves in several ledership capacities. Dr. Rivers is a behavioral scientist with a broad background in implementation science and public health, with specific training and expertise in methodologies commonly used to addressing health disparities. To date, Dr. Rivers has secured more than $30 million in extramural funding through NIH.
Kisha Holden, PhD, MSCR
Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Community Health and Preventive Medicine
- Chairperson-Elect, 2023 American Psychological Association, Health Equity Committee
- Board Member, Lee Thomas Young Foundation (2022)
- Committee Member, Diversity Research Program, Emory University (2022)
- Committee Member, American Psychological Association, Health Equity Committee (2022)
- Committee Member, National Community Mental Health Equity Alliance (2022)
- Advisory Board Member, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)-Georgia (2021-present)
- Committee Member, American Psychological Association, Committee on Population Health (2021-present)
Carey Roth Bayer, EdD, MEd, BSN, RN, CSE
Community Health and Preventive Medicine
- Faculty Mentor, MedEdPORTAL
- AAMC Board of Directors, National Sexual Health Conference
- Associate Editor, MedEdPORTAL, AAMC
- Virtual Simulations Authored: Roth Bayer, C, Thompson, D, Belton, A, Legister, A, & Mursion Team, Inc. (Elise Barberis).
- “Sexual Health in Aging Populations” Atlanta, GA: Morehouse School of Medicine/Mursion (2021)
- Roth Bayer, C, Thompson, D, Belton, A, Legister, A, & Mursion Team. “Sexual Health and People with Disabilities” Atlanta, GA: Morehouse School of Medicine/Mursion (2021)
- Roth Bayer, C, Thompson, D, Belton, A, Legister, A, & Mursion Team. “Addressing Sexual Health & Pain” Atlanta, GA: Morehouse School of Medicine/Mursion (2021);
- Roth Bayer, C, Thompson, D, Belton, A, Legister, A, & Mursion Team. “Intersectionality & Sexual Health” Atlanta, GA: Morehouse School of Medicine/Mursion (2021)
- Ross, M, Roth Bayer, C, Shindel, A, & Coleman, E. “Evaluating the impact of a medical school cohort sexual health course on knowledge, counseling skills and sexual attitude change,” BMC Medical Education, 21(37), 1-10, 2021 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-020-02482-x
- Byrd, T, & Roth Bayer, C, “Timing and Holistic Measure of Sexual Function in Patients with IBD after Proctectomy,” The Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology, 32(1): 111-112, 2021, doi: 10.5152/tjg.2021.20400
- Mitchell, A, Lovejoy Mork, A, Hall, J, Roth Bayer, C. “Navigating COVID-19 Through Diverse Student Learning Communities: Importance & Lessons Learned,” Health Education, Vol ahead of Print, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1108/HE-01-2021-0012
- Grose, R, Halden Brown, E, Roth Bayer, C, & Paulk, E. “The Youth HIV Policy Advisors Program: Creating Change Agents and Shifting the HIV Policy Landscape in Atlanta,” Health Education, (online ahead of print, 2021)
- Mitchell, A, Redding, K, Roth Bayer, C, Patrickson, J, & McNeal, M, “Using Learning Communities to Address Important Diversity Discussions,” Academic Medicine, 96(11S): S193-S194, 2021 doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000004336, 202
- Reid, R, Williams, A, Roth Bayer, C, “Responding to Youth Opinions on Vaccination with Better Interventions,” Journal of Adolescent Health, 69(6), 1048, 2021
- Williams, A, Reid, R, & Roth Bayer, C, “"Whose Line is it Anyway: Dismantling the Foundations of Rape Culture," Archives of Sexual Behavior, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-022-02294-8
- Roth Bayer, C, Thompson, D, Belton, A, Legister, A, & Zheng, J. “VR Simulation for Sexual History-Taking Practice: A Bridge to Patient Access, Privacy, & Inclusion,” AAMC Group on Information Resources, (accepted for workshop June, 2022)
- Mitchell, A, Redding, K, Roth Bayer, C, Patrickson, J, & McNeal, M, “Using Learning Communities to Address Important Diversity Discussions,” AAMC 2021 Conference, Nov 2021
- Milstein, S, & Roth Bayer, C, “Just when you think you know how to take a sexual history, a pandemic hits: Sexual history-taking and COVID-19”, NSHC 2021 Virtual Conference, October, 2021
- Milstein, S, & Roth Bayer, C, “Condoms, COVID, & Communication,” SSSS 2021 Conference, virtual presentation, November, 2021
- Mitchell, A, Zheng, J, Lovejoy Mork, A, Roth Bayer, C, & Elks, M, “Re-evaluating Learner-mentor Connections in HyFlex Medical Student Learning Communities,” AAMC 2022 (Abstract Submitted, December 2021)
- Al-Madani, Y, Baker, J, Clarke, E, Idehen, C, Johnson, D, Jones Jr.,G, Knowles, K, Osuoha, G, Perry, M, Presmy, C, Uche Jr., A, Walker-Baker, S, Wang, Y, Wilson, Z; Banks, S, Roth Bayer, C, & Jackson-Brown, M. “Using a Community Health Needs Assessment for Prioritization of Health Interventions at Paul L. Dunbar Elementary School,” 34th Dr. Curtis L. Parker Student Research Symposium, February, 2022
- Roth Bayer, C, “Maximizing mentorship & collaboration,” panel discussion for Emory’s Public Health 701 Seminar, Emory, October 29, 2021
- Roth Bayer, C, “Gender Diversity & Inclusion,” HPRC Statewide Network’s Strategies for Optimal Adolescent Health Virtual Symposium, Nov 21
Rick Roberts, PhD, CRA
Director of Finance and Administration
Neurobiology and Neuroscience Institute
Dr. Rick Roberts was selected to serve on the Research Administration Certification Council (RACC) Board of Directors beginning March 1, 2022.
Sarah Greene, PhD
Department of Pathology and Anatomy
Desired Research Outcomes
To address healthcare inequities by raising awareness of challenges in healthcare for Deaf and Hard of Hearing patients, and educating future healthcare professionals on how to effectively work with Deaf and Hard of Hearing patients.
Manuscripts & Publications
- Greene SJ and Scott JA. “Promoting Cultural Awareness, Professionalism, and Communication Skills in Medicine through Anatomy: The Deaf Culture Session.” Clinical Anatomy: 2021: 34(6): 899-909. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33984159/
- Coffee Talk for 2021 American Association of Clinical Anatomists annual meeting: Promoting Equity and Inclusion through Anatomy: Working with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Patients and Students. Co-Leader/Facilitator.
- Accepted Workshop for AAMC Southern Group on Educational Affairs regional meeting (will be presenting March 28, 2022)
- Greene SJ, Cohen Efron A. Addressing Health Equity and Teaching Cultural Competency: Working with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Patients. American Association of Medical Colleges Southern Group on Educational Affairs 2022 annual meeting.