Moffitt Cancer Center
NCI Patient Navigator Research Program - Cancer Disparities
Texas A&M University
Degree: Doctor of Philosophy in Health Education
UAB School of Public Health
Degree: Master of Science in Public Health - Healthcare Organization and Policy
Degree: Bachelor of Psychology
Health Care Disparities in access and utilization of health services, including biomedical research and clinical trials for the prevention, treatment and survivorship of cancer among minority and medically underserved populations.
1. Rivers, D., Vadaparampil, S., Pal, T., Adams, L., Dash-Pitt, L., Quinn, G. (2017). A Community-Academic
Partnership to Explore Informational Needs of African American Women as a Primer for
Cancer Clinical Trial Recruitment. Ethnicity and Health. ePub.
2. Ojeaga, A., Alema-Mensah, E., Rivers, D., Azonobi, I., Rivers, B. (2017). Racial Disparities in HPV-related Knowledge, Attitudes,
and Beliefs among African American and White Women in the USA. Journal of Cancer Education. ePub.
3. Walsh, M.L., Rivers, D., Pinzon, M., Entrekin, N., Hite, E.M., Baldwin, J.A. (2015). Assessment of the Perceived
Role and Function of a Community Advisory Board in a NIH Center of Excellence: Lessons
Learned. Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice. 8(3): 100-108.
4. Davis, J.L., Rivers, B.M., Rivers, D., Tucker, C.M., Desmond, F.F., Arthur, T.M., Wippold, G.M., Green, B.L. (2016). A
Community-Level Assessment of Barriers to Preventive Health Behaviors Among Culturally
Diverse Men. American Journal of Men’s Health. 10(6): 495-504.
5. Sultan, D.H., Rivers, B.M., Osongo, B.O., Wilson, D.S., Schenck, A., Carvajal,
R., Rivers, D. Roetzheim, R., Green, B.L. (2014). Affecting African American Men’s Prostate Cancer
Screening Decision-making Through a Mobile Tablet-Mediated Intervention. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 25(3): 1261-77.
6. Green, B.L., Rivers, D., Kumar, N., Baldwin, J., Rivers, B., Sultan, D., Jacobsen, P., Gordon, L., Davis,
J., Roetzheim, R. (2013). Establishing the Infrastructure to Comprehensively Address
Cancer Disparities: A Model for Transdisciplinary Approaches. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 24(4): 1614-1623.
7. Rivers, D., August E.M., Sehovic, I., Green, B.L., Quinn, G.P. (2013). A systematic review of
the factors influencing African Americans' participation in cancer clinical trials.
Contemporary Clinical Trials. 35(2): 13-32.
8. Johnson-Mallard, V., Thomas, T.L., Kostas-Polston, E.A., Barta, M., Lengacher,
C. A., & Rivers, D. (2012). The Nurse’s Role in Preventing Cervical Cancer: A Cultural Framework. American Nurse Today. 7(7): 37-40.
9. Wells, K.J., Meade, C.D., Calcano, E. R., Lee, J-H., Rivers, D., & Roetzheim, R.G. (2011). Innovative Approaches to Reducing Cancer Health Disparities:
The Moffitt Cancer Center Patient Navigator Research Program. Journal of Cancer Education. 6(4): 649-657.
10. Pal, T., Rocchio, E., Garcia, A., Rivers, D., Vadaparampil, S. (2010). Recruitment of Black women for a study of inherited breast
cancer using a Cancer Registry-Based Approach. Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers. 15(1-2): 69-77.
11. Jean-Pierre, P., Fiscella, K., Freund, K., Clark, J., Darnell, J., Holden, A.,
Post, D., Patierno, S., Winters, P., Snyder, F., Taylor, E., Roetzheim, R., Warren-Mears,
V., Rivers, D., LaVerda, N. (2010). Structural and reliability analysis of a patient satisfaction
with cancer-related care measure: A multi-site patient navigation research program
study. Cancer. 117(4): 854-861.
12. Gwede, C.K., Ward, B.G., Luque, J., Vadaparampil, S., Rivers, D., Martinez-Tyson, D., Noel- Thomas, S., Meade, C.D. (2010). Application of Geographic
Information Systems (GIS) and asset mapping to facilitate identification of colorectal
cancer screening resources. Online Journal of Public Health Informatics. 2(1): e6
13. Rivers, B., August, E., Buchanan, K., Rivers, D., Green, B. (2010). A comparative examination of prostate cancer knowledge levels among
African Americans and Whites in Alabama. The Journal of Best Practices in Health Professions Diversity: Research, Education
14. Rivers, D., Rowell, K. (2007). Self-management education among African Americans with Type 2 diabetes:
a literature review. The Health Education Monograph Series, 24(1): 37-41.
15. Rivers, D., Rowell, K. (2006). Encouraging confidence intervals for effect size reporting in
health education research. The Health Education Monograph Series, 23(2): 60-62.
16. Watkins, D.C., Rivers D., Rowell, K., Green, B.L., Rivers, B.M. (2006). A closer look at effect sizes and
their relevance to health education. American Journal of Health Education, 37(2): 103-108.
17. Rowell, K., Rivers, D. (2006). Racism as a stressor among African American suicide attempters: examining
gender disparities. The Health Education Monograph Series, 23(2): 30-36.
18. Politzer, R.M., Trible, L.Q., Robinson, T.D., Heard, D., Weaver, D.L., Reig, S.M., Gaston. M. (July 2000). The National Health Service Corps for the 21st century. The Journal of Ambulatory Care Management, 23(3): 70-85.
Honors and Awards
2017 National Institute on Aging, Butler-Williams Scholar
2016 NCI U54 MSM-TU-UABCCC Health Disparities Research Training, Fellow
2016 NCI GMAP Region 2, K Award Training Program Fellow
2007-2009 NCI PNRP Moffitt Cancer Center, Postdoctoral Fellow
2006-2007 Society for Public Health Education, Student Trustee
2006-2007 Eta Sigma Gamma Honor Society, Alpha Pi Chapter Member
2004-2007 Texas A&M, Office of Graduate Studies, Diversity Fellow
2001-2002 UAB School of Medicine, Student National Medical Association, Administrative
1999 Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Public Health Fellow
1998-1999 UAB Lister Hill Center for Health Policy, Fellow